June 4, 2023 / Dr. Paul Dean
Dr. Paul Dean, the Executive Director of the Soma Family of Churches, preaches from I Thessalonians 5:12-28 on how revival is simply listening to and obeying the Holy Spirit, and can change our hearts in dramatic ways.
- At its essence, revival is simply listening to, and obeying, the Spirit.
- Revival begins when we respond to the Spirit with respect, honor, and love towards each other. It affects how we treat each other. We must build one another up.
- Revival begins when we respond to the Spirit by walking with Him. Rejoice! You are loved, pursued, and held by God.
- As you think through revivals and how they happen, its that God works in one persons heart and they become a little fire. And that fire spreads from one person to another as they respond to the Spirit, listen to the Spirit, and obey the Spirit. It’s a refining fire, that ends with renewed life and resurrection.
- Don’t quench (alt: resist, extinguish, grieve) the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19). You quench the Spirit when you stop listening to how He is directing you.
- Obedience, and disobedience, of God is contagious.
- Revivals begin when we respond to the Spirit with complete devotion.
- The Gospel is an invitation to a life with God.
COMMUNITY GROUP DISCUSSION:
- Begin with time spent as a group rejoicing in God and giving Him thanks for all that He has done for us.
- Reflect.. Is your heart completely His? Are you completely devoted? What competes for your devotion?
- Discuss: do you believe revival can happen in Seattle? How?
- Close with time in repentance. Turn away from your idols and return to your creator. Stop putting your hope in the American dream and in the goals that society has for you. Instead, put your hope in who God is and everything He has done for you. Commit your hearts to be on fire for Him, spreading the invitation of the Gospel one heart at a time.