Released from the Wrong Mindset
July 18, 2021 / Josh Sercey
What you think changes how you live. Pop psychology has tapped into this in the past few years, but it’s merely catching up with the Bible. In our sermon this week, Josh looks at Romans 8:5-8, where we’ll see Paul exhort us to have a mindset that is Spirit-led.
- We either have our minds set on the flesh or on the Spirit
- You can change, reset, and redirect what our mindset is: Paul encourages us not to believe the lie that our mindsets are fixed
- We are able to change what and how we think about the world
- Before we see that our mindset influences our real life, we have to see that we can influence our own mindsets
- How can we change our mindset?
- Shift our attention and focus to different things
- Seriously audit what you are giving your mind and attention to and decide if your mind is set on flesh or spirit
- Flesh: the human campaign to live separated from God and in opposition to Him
- Spirit: life and peace, submits to pleasing God
- If you want to set your mind on the Spirit then first set your mind on Jesus!
- The Gospel wins our hearts first so that our minds can be reoriented