Released from ______. (A Study in Romans)
Released from Perfectionism
July 12, 2021 / Josh Sercey
How does the gospel actually work? If it’s such good news, we should probably have some real clarity around it. This week in our Romans series, we’ll look at Romans 8:1-4, which lays out as clear as possible how we are released from earning our salvation. And, as you’ll see, that clarity gives us a security that is untouchable and a hope that is immovable. In other words, it’s a clarity we need for our real life.
- There is no longer condemnation for sin if we are in Christ. RIGHT NOW in the present.
- God took initiative to save us from condemnation fully aware what a mess we were and what a mess we would continue to be. God’s initiative happens in the context of our inability.
- We can’t ever do anything to undo what He already decided to do.
- “Jesus becomes what we are so that we can become who He is” -Martin Luther (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- Expiation–Jesus takes away our sin from us. It’s gone for good, no longer to be found.
- Imputation–Jesus gives us His own righteousness. We can now look God in the face and approach Him
Radical acceptance is not the answer. Only in Christ we can be fully known and fully accepted and still fully loved.