A Life Worthy of the Gospel
July 20, 2023 / Ben Wishall
Icon Elder Ben Wishall continues with week two of an eight week series in Philippians. This week we journey through Philippians 1:19-30, specifically focusing on Paul’s exhortation to the Philippians at the beginning of verse 27: “Only, let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ.”
- Paul wants the Philippians, he wants us, to have the same fullness of Christ, the fullness of relationship that he has.
- We know that the message of the Gospel – the good news of Christ, is that there is nothing we can do to earn or deserve God’s love and forgiveness. Ephesians 2:8-9, “For by grace you have been saved, through faith. And this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
- The call to live a life worthy of the Gospel of Christ does not mean that we are required to live a life worthy of the love of God, or the forgiveness of God. Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone
- Four things that mark a citizen of heaven:
- Standing Firm in our Faith
- Striving for our Faith
- Fearless in the Face of Opposition to our Faith
- United with Each Other in the Gospel
COMMUNITY GROUP DISCUSSION:
Ben asked the congregation three questions as part of his sermon. Reflect on the scripture in the message Ben shared and your own experience as you answer the following:
- Why should we make the Gospel the central point of our lives?
- What does it look like to live a life worthy of the Gospel of Christ?
- How do we live a life worthy of the Gospel of Christ?
Think back to the courageous example Ben shared at the close of the sermon. Is there an example or area in your life in which you can imitate the principles of a citizen of heaven listed above? Encourage one another, with a commitment to remain united in community through these trials. Pray together to close.