LEADERSHIP PODCAST / Relational Practices
Ep.01 A Rule of Life
April 1, 2020 /
In this episode, Ilona and Justin kick off Season 2 by discussing why now, perhaps more than ever in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we should commit ourselves to a Rule of Life. Unpacking this ancient practice and countering our cultural reactions, they explore why a life structured in disciplines is so necessary in our current social moment. How can thinking about these practices in a relational, formational, and missional way help us become the types of people who can be at peace even in anxious times?
Ideas We Highlight
- Where the expression “Rule of Life” comes from and why this tradition is helpful in a moment of global crisis
- The necessity of structure, as much as Millennials and Enneagram type 7s might hate being “boxed in”
- The crucial and often missed nuance between knowing God and actually having a relationship with him
- Exploring the misapplication of the idea of “head, heart, and hands”
- Why Michael Jordan’s famous play in the 1991 NBA finals is STILL an important analogy for spiritual formation
The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives by Dallas Willard. Find it on Amazon.
Download the Rule for Life worksheet here. Pick 3 practices you’ve tried before that you want to level up, and 1 new practice to try. Spend time prayerfully considering and articulating how each of those practices shapes you relationally, formationally, and missionally.